The leader qualities, listed in Depree’s (1989) Leadership is an art (pp 131-132) I see in my husband who was an educational administrator and remains my closest colleague.
- Has consistent and dependable integrity
- Cherishes heterogeneity and diversity
- Searches out competence
- Is open to contrary opinion
- Communicates easily at all levels
- Understands the concept of equity and consistently advocates it
- Leads through serving
- Is vulnerable to the skills and talents of others
- Is intimate with the organization and its work
- Is able to see the broad picture
- Is a spokesperson and diplomat
- Can be tribal storyteller (way of transmitting corporate culture)
- Tells why, rather than how
Probably, one of the reasons he remains close to those he ‘led’ throughout the years.