- This event has passed.
Providing Constructive Criticism –
June 14, 2017 @ 8:30 am - 12:30 pm$CA199
Being criticized is never fun. People in positions of authority, however, need to effectively deliver constructive criticism. Feedback that is not delivered well can cause dire results. Learn the basic characteristics of constructive criticism.
- Be specific: Focus on specific actions, and do not bring in personal perceptions.
- Address controllable professional issues: Do not bring up personal shortcomings or issues that the recipient cannot change.
- Provide criticism early: Do not allow problems to continue without addressing them. This reinforces the idea that the behavior is acceptable.
- Involve the recipient: Provide people with opportunities to ask for feedback, and involve them in the action plan.
- Be respectful: Consider the needs of the recipient and make sure that the tone and manner of delivery is helpful and not condemning.